Thursday 7 March 2013

The Mating Season (Jeeves #9)

Hardcover, 272 pages
Published January 1st 2002 by Overlook Hardcover (first published 1949)

ISBN
1585672319 (ISBN13: 9781585672318)
edition language
English
original title
The Mating Season
series

Synopsis-
Fans of P. G. Wodehouse's comic genius are legion, and their devotion to his masterful command of the hilarity borders on an obsession.

The Mating Season is a time of love, mistaken identity, and mishap for Bertie, Gussie Fink-Nottle and other guests staying at Deverill Hall-luckily there's unflappable Jeeves to set things right.


My Review-
 
Fink-Nottle? Did you read that? Oh.My. God. Wodehouse is a genius and so is Wooster. I realized that after reading nine books. I mean what is a B&J book without Bertie’s narration. Bertie is a genius. ACCEPT IT!

 Here, the fiasco is in the Deverie Hall, Hampshire where our lovely Gussie Fink-Nottle has been arrested. Bertie with his intelligent butler Jeeves comes to the rescue and traps himself in a convoluted plot where no one else but Jeeves could help him out of!


This is springtime, the mating season, when, as you probably know, a livelier iris gleams upon the burnished dove and a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love.

This is how the book starts and Bertie continues to dread ‘The Mating Season’ with

- I tell you Jeeves, the spirits are low. I don't know if you have been tied hand and foot to a chair in front of a barrell of gunpowder with an inch of lighted candle on top of it?
- No, sir, I have not had the experience.
- Well, that's how I'm feeling. I'm just clenching the teeth and waiting for the bang.



Don’t worry. You’ll reach the end of the book with a fat smile on your face.
And to end this review, shall I leave you with a quote?

"Except for knowing that when you've heard one, you've heard them all, I'm not really an authority on violin solos, so cannot state definitely whether La Pulbrook's was or was not a credit to the accomplices who had taught her the use of the instrument. It was loud in spots and less loud in other spots, and it had that quality which I have noticed in all violin solos, of seeming to last much longer than it actually did."

0 comments:

Post a Comment